This is a post I wrote on my old blog “The Tree Fort” a little while ago. It’s something I’ve been thinking a lot about lately, so I decided to share it again.
Many of the movies I enjoy watching, I really shouldn’t watch. This fact has been glaring me in the face for years, but I just came to that realization recently. To help me set clear boundaries for what I should and should not watch, I wrote a short list of bad morals – I decided that if any of these bad morals are contained in a movie, I won’t watch that movie. Here’s what I came up with:
1) A movie has excessive filthy language.
2) A movie has an inappropriate relationship shown as being good.
3) A movie has excessive gore, just for the sake of gore.
4) A movie has characters that are immodest in both their dress and behavior.
5) A movie condones a false religion.
6) A movie mocks the Christian faith, Christ, or Christians.
7) A movie has coarse jokes in it.
As I wrote up the list, I realized that all but one of those elements were in my most favorite movies. Black Hawk Down and Master and Commander both have excessive filthy language, excessive gore in places, brief moments of immodesty, and coarse jokes. It’s a Wonderful Life has inappropriate relationships throughout the whole story, and immodestly dressed women. Star Wars has Immodestly dressed women, and condones a false religion (Zen Buddhism). Toy Story 3 has the “love at first site” lie about love (lust driven relationship), and has a couple coarse jokes.
Psalm 101:3 – I will set no wicked thing before my eyes.